Boston's Parks, Gardens, and Green Spaces
Boston urban planners have always recognized the health, environmental, social, and economic benefits of retaining open space for the use of the citizens. In 1634, the Boston Common was assigned to be used by the inhabitants as a cow pasture and training ground. In the nineteenth century, a system of interconnected parks known as the "Emerald Necklace" was developed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Stretching from the Back Bay to Dorchester, they were designed to connect people to nature. In contemporary times, support has been give to the development of community gardens, urban farms, green roofs, and more, Use the resources below to find out more about the history, and current uses, of Boston's green spaces.