Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Norman B. Leventhal Map Center - Hours
The National Geologic Map Database
Looking for other types of maps from USGS?
Finding and Downloading Current USGS Topographic Maps
The most recently published topographic maps can be found through the USGS Store using the Map Locator and Downloader, or The National Map Viewer. Additionally, to search for a specific sheet by title, a textual search can be done through the US Topo and Historical Topographic Map Collection website.
Paper copies of maps updated after September, 2008 will not be found at libraries or other map repositories, except for the 1:100,000 scale map series. Maps updated after September, 2008 are referred to using the term "US Topo" and are published digitally in GeoPDF format. GeoPDFs do not require specialized software to use, but allow the user to view and manipulate different types of spatial information at once. For more information see the link below titled US Topo Map and Historical Topographic Map Users Guide.
Using the USGS Map Locator and Downloader
To find a map for a certain location using the USGS Map Locator and Downloader:
- Search a location in the search bar or navigate to the location by using the displayed web map. Use the "+" and "-" buttons in the upper left to zoom in to an area.
- Double click on the map to set a marker. This will show a pop-up with information about the point.
- Click the blue "View Products" button to see a list of maps that cover the location. Use the "Map Year" slider and "Map Scale" menu to narrow the results.
- View more information, download, or add prints to your cart using the list.
- Download maps and open them on your computer to use the GeoPDF features.
The National Map Viewer
The National Map Viewer
Use The National Map's interactive viewer to find the most recently published topographic map for a location.
To find and download a map for a certain location using The National Map Viewer:
- Open the "Layer List" (third icon in the bar above the map) and select "US Topo Availability". The base map will be overlayed with different shades of green. Darker greens indicate areas with maps published more recently than lighter greens. This will also add the topo footprints.
- Navigate to a location of interest by using the displayed web map. Zoom in to see areas in more detail.
- Click on the web map for a pop-up about the area. Click "Zoom to" in the lower left of the pop-up to see the topo map's footprint.
- In the pop-up menu, scroll to the bottom and click the "CLOUD_URL" link to download the GeoPDF or the "CLOUD_TN_URL" link for the jpg.
To find and download a map for a certain location using the US Topo and Historical Map Collection website:
- Select a state in the dropdown menu and click the "US Topo" button under "Map Type".
- Enter the name of the sheet and click "Search".
- Click the icon under "Download GeoPDF".